First day off the AZT

My first day off the AZT and the planets were in lined for my favor. Starting with breakfast and tea. Then a ride from my new friends from up North, Don and his wife Kristen and their friends Marvin and Heather. Wonderful people that made the finish of my trail incredibly special. They dropped me off in a better place to catch a ride(Paria Visitors Center) with a few words to the Ranger inside, saying I just finished the AZT and will be trying to yogi a ride in the parking lot. A lady was in there and she happened to be a Thru-Hiker too. Her name was Bee Keeper (Jansjaunts.wordpress.com) she said, I can give you a ride. So without having to even stick up a thumb I had gotten two rides. We chatted about everything thru-hikers chat about on the way into Page. She dropped me at a Macdonalds where I tried to gain back some of the calories I've shed. Right after Macdonalds I walked across the parking lot to Taco Bell. Round two. In there a started chatting with a dude sitting a few tables down. He asked if I was a backpacker. I said yes. I've been doing some hiking in the Arizona area. Now im going to explore Utah. He himself has done some traveling around Thailand. He was in utah for the day, his Birthday solo. After he took off he came back and gave me a cookie. A special cookie. I said, are you sure man? It's your Bday. He said enjoy man. I have tons. Then he took off. I couldn't believe it. It's his Bday and he was the one passing out gifts. I stuffed the cookie in my pack and headed across the street to Walmart. I wanted to see how much bikes were. If under $100 then I would buy it and ride it to Moab.. instead of hitching. I found this cruiser for $79. So I bought it. And a helmet, some patches and a small pump. It has been decided now. I will now ride a bike for the next 5 days, 269 miles to Moab to meet my buddy The Shepherd to begin this Hayduke Trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment